Saturday, May 7, 2016

Update

 OK! It didn't take too long to figure out that Via Francigena wasn't for me. For a lot of reasons I bailed after 4 days. There was a "Navy Seal in training" moment where I "rang the bell"! I figured if I was pulling the plug I might as well try to turn this into something else.....so I caught a train to Paris. And when they say high speed train they mean it-cruised at nearly 300 Kmph- what's that 180 MPH? Yes, that is the Seine with the Eiffel Tower over my left shoulder. I got a hotel in the Latin Quarter in the middle of Paris- lots of action, people watching, cafes, grand monuments, etc. 

Some thoughts:

Where are all these people going to and from? Lots of energy in this town.

Saw a Chinese bride and groom having a photo shoot on a bridge over the Seine. The dress was probably $25K. Imagine the price of that destination wedding. The Chinese are coming!

The cafes are fun and a great place to crash for while with a cappuccino or bottle of wine. BTW even the 20€ bottles are as good as $75 Napas. Ashtrays at every table but not many smokers. Not like the Europe I remember from 40 years ago.

Lots of Muslims everywhere. They're coming too.

The Louvre is the biggest building I've ever seen.

Ran into a tough looking group of about 8 commandos in camo with grim looks on their faces. They carried automatic rifles with hugh clips. Although they were using shoulder straps, their finger was "ON THE TRIGGER " and I think the safeties were off. They were on very high alert and made quite an impression on me but no one else seemed to pay much mind. Maybe just showing a presence. But not last encounter with them, read on.
The terrorists are not coming, they are here.

They have a bike system here where you get a bike at something that looks like a parking meter. You pay, the bike unlocks, and you can take it anywhere. When done you return it to another lock up. Must be hundreds all over.

Segways, hover boards, and even a powered unicycle looking contraption.

The walk up gyro and crepe stands are great. The Nutella or ham cheese egg crepes were both outstanding. Should bring that to the Grange fair at home.


 
Cappuccino croissant breakfast
Note to self- people are thinking I'm Asian taking pis of food😎

 
The French love their locks. Street lock sellers are happy, couples are happy. Win-Win.

So today I'm on a train to Bayeaux in Normandy. Have a tour of D-Day beaches, American cemetery, etc tomorrow. On the walk to the gare (train station) this am another group of tense and armed commandos hollered at a group of us to detour around a corner. Not sure what was happening but I half expected a shoot out or bombing to occur. Sad to say that's the world we live in.
 
Guy on far right, under green light was directing pedestrians away from corner. Like they expected one of the motorcycles to blow up.

From there I return to Paree and Charles De Gaulle airport to join my lovely bride and fly to Naples, Italy (not Florida). Itinerary is Positano on Amalfi Coast. Then onto Florence. Explore Tuscany and Cinque Terre. Then train to Rome and home. So, life gives you lemons...you know what to do.

1 comment:

  1. You guys are going to have a blast! Lisa is so excited!

    ReplyDelete