Saturday, May 28, 2016

St. Peter's Basilica

 There is no fee to enter a church, BUT you need a ticket. Line to get ticket is 3 hours. "Skip the line" ticket is 15€, best money I ever spent. At the age of 24, Michaelangelo sculpted this from one block of marble. Even though it's 25 feet away behind bullet proof glass it's still incredible. The detail in anatomy and flowing garments make it come to life.  The ever vigilant Swiss Guard. Uniforms designed by Leonardo Da Vinci are unchanged.
Well I made it from Canterbury Cathedral in England to St Peter's in Rome. Not how I imagined the Via Francigena being done but we had fun and I look forward to going home in a couple days. My knee still hurts and I'm glad not to be walking down paved roads for 20 plus miles at a clip, in the rain, for another six weeks or more.

No comments:

Post a Comment